follow the exploits of our top xc pilots in world level international comps

Monday, July 15, 2013

Mantrum

S%#t, F*&k, S&^t, S$%t, F*@k...Ok, now that I have that out of my system.

I had troubles right from the start, my instrument was just as confused as me. We had launched after the race had already started and the instrument was telling me to go back to launch for some unknown reason. Once I thought I had it sorted I started on course as the instrument played its happy little tune, but was doubtful that I had tagged the start cylinder. I tried checking my track in the air and I was already 80% sure I had missed it.

I had a great run for the rest of the task, mixing it with a few of the guns. We took a good line out from the mountains and into the flats which was a much more direct route and it proved fruitful. I was not sure of our exact position relative to the rest of the field, but I knew we were doing ok. At the last turnpoint I realised that we were the lead gaggle. I came in around 5-6th for the day. On the ground I checked my track properly and have missed the start and blown a really good task result. Brian arrived not long after me, with the same doubt of his start. It turns out with have both blown it due to this quirk of our instruments, unbeknown to us previously.

Now beer! Tomorrow better!
Che

1 comment:

  1. A great flight anyway! Watched your tracks last night and thought you had it nailed. Couldn't believe the results this morning. Checking the replay, it looks like you & Brian licked the edge of that cylinder. Go snog it next time;)Well done Gareth & KK. Good luck with Task 2

    ReplyDelete