follow the exploits of our top xc pilots in world level international comps

Sunday, February 1, 2009

From James.

I've seen the butterfly, I'm taking it quiet, and only having the few quiet Ales after flying. I've made shore of plenty of sleep and good food. I've found Valle so much nicer then Mexico city, and like any Paragliding spot the locals are into the sport and know how to treat these poor paragliders.
I've been lucky to get to goal 3 time. Day 3 was only a 19km Flight, when I pushed to quick on a slow day. Today around 35kms, came back from the flats by the 3 kings (had a big wait for the kings to pop a thermal, then back over the road back to Valle over the air strip, it was total shade and with only broken weak climbs we drifted over the golf/horse/ bulls/polo/Hi tension power line so low, I lost the lift at tree height and landed, A pilot 50ft above me climbed out. It took him half an hour to get to base. I was packed up and walking to the road when the gaggle glided on.
I just keep in mind that the worse part of the flight is the thermals of El. Penon, G spot and of course the aptly named Crazy thermal Masa, Oh what fun 149 gun pilots in STRONG lift, base at 2820m (that 600m above the top of the masa), You leave the thermal and hit even stronger lift that pops you into the cloud, you came out the side, turn so not to lose too much height, and have gliders pop out the cloud right on top of you, You lose height so quickly with the equally strong sink, so it straight back into the strong lift to do it all over again.
You may ask arnt there 150 pilot in the comp, yes 149 guns and a little "Aussie battler" who know when to take it easy.
Now collapse, Yes I've had a few, in fact I've had the works, today's best was a ascetic when in the cleft of El Penon 80ft from the rock face with other glider close, so I'm trying to control direction, away from the face, and between the other gliders. The best Collapse I saw was yesterday a comp glider took a hit which went into a cascade, he was totally out of control till he got a grip on it, about 5 big collapses in a row with little directional control, as he was entering a thermal, the thermal still had hold of him at the end, he had gain about 500m when he got it under control. Ohh what Fun is Crazy Thermal Masa.
Below are links to some photos and my flights.
James

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=jamesflys&target=ALBUM&id=5295768068876425793&authkey=nuxGvFAfgIU&authkey=nuxGvFAfgIU&feat=email

http://www.paraglidingforum.com/leonardo/flight/158719

No comments:

Post a Comment