follow the exploits of our top xc pilots in world level international comps

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Paragliding World Championships: task 7

Kari says: More thunderstorms in the forecast today so it was back to Bassano again. The organisation did really well to move things along on launch and we got off nice and early for a short 53km sprint task ahead of the weather.
For me, today's task was a good reminder of why it rarely pays to fly a task impatiently.
The start opened and we all hammered off to the first turn-point on the ridge. The remainder of the task was then in the flats. High cirrus cloud was suppressing the thunderstorms, but enough sun on the ground kept conditions nice and racy, with cumulus marking the way. The gaggle I was with had moved nice and fast on the ridge, however slowed right down when we hit the flats. So I left and for the next 25km I pushed on hard, chasing the small group of leaders out the front. My luck lasted until just before the final turn-point where I found myself about 100m above the ground and finally pulled on the hand-brake.
I had gotten myself properly low and slow and for the next 15 minutes I scratched my ass off. While I was doing this, a large proportion of the field flew over my head and into goal. I eventually squeaked in, but was slow. I'd blame this poor decision making on the pseudo-ephedrine I'm dosed up on, but suspect it's more likely my impulse control problem I suffer from occasionally. 😊
Pete had a stomping good day out front with the small lead group and was best Aussie in 9th, Gareth also had a good day and was in 19th, I was 73rd, Felipe misjudged his final glide was just short of goal at 103rd and Steve landed a bit shorter in 121st.
Thanks to Pete and Gareth's hard work today the Aussie team continues to climb the rankings in the team Championship, jumping another place to 4th!!!! 🇦🇺😁🇦🇺 Plenty if high-fives in the house tonight!
Task 7 and overall results are at: https://airtribune.com/worlds2017/results
(📷: Martin Scheels)

No comments:

Post a Comment