follow the exploits of our top xc pilots in world level international comps

Monday, January 26, 2009

Chances lost and found

Day 2 saw a 91km task on a trickier day than the first. All team members were a little more settled in and James proved a serial glider is no handicap for careful decision making, making goal where quite a few top pilots fell short. Antje also fared well unfortunately just falling short but in a respectable position at the time, being ahead of both Gav and I.
Gav, James, and I took what we could on the previous task and all grabbed excellent starts up front. I lucked out with a better line to the first turnpoint and sustained a good position holding the lead at the second only to make a decision that decided my fate for the rest of the day. Pushed on to higher country which the Americans said was the right one if the cloud bases were higher. The remaining lead gaggle put the breaks on at the turnpoint and took a patient slow climb. Gav smoked in from the second gaggle 4km back but shared my fate when we both tried to recover our loses by being flushed by venturi. Gav took a better recovery climb and got a good jump on me but we both were forced by strong drift into taking an alternative route round to the last turn point than most of the field containing both James and Antje. Gav managed to grab the last lift the day had to offer after we both passed the last turn point and make goal while I landed short.
That´s paragliding.... having 25 kids get stuck into your gear while your back's turned and run off with it- well, that´s Mexico. It was dark when I got home so haven´t fully checked my inventory though I do know one of my gloves is some amego´s catching mit tonight.
Off to bed for round 3 tomorrow.
Shane.

1 comment:

  1. I know you don't want to, but fly the lead gaggle Shane!

    ReplyDelete